2008-04-29

"Beautiful!"

When we look at the sun setting behind the mountains, the colours of dusk splashed across the sky, a child laughing or a stunning woman with laughter in her eyes; it is so natural to go "beautiful". And yet beauty has no definition, no criteria. Just the emotion that it evokes in everyone of us. A feeling that you should look up to something with awe and admiration. It is wonderful that when different people sometimes look at some things they all undergo the same feeling. It is what binds us together.

Dictionary's definition: The quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations (as shape, color, sound, etc.), a meaningful design or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest).

And yet I wonder how we managed to create definitions of beauty too. We have managed to create stereotypes of what should and should not be considered beautiful. I'm not sure how we did that but its something like moral values. As the society grows and matures as one we develop common values that we consider right or wrong. And yes we make mistakes along the way as all masses are likely to. But its the only way we can function.

(I really don't see any other way. Yes sometimes we pay the price of individuals and I hate that too but I don't see a way around it!! :( )

(I got distracted there I think.)

(I'm not sure if the society is always becoming more mature but what I meant is sophisticated which I think we are.)

And that is what happens with beauty. As you grow the concept of beauty is ingrained in you without you being aware of it. Before you know you are calling sunsets, Katrina Kaif, yachts on the sea, waterfalls, flowers against the backdrop of a garden, butterflies twittering(I just wanted to use the word. :D And ya I do think butterflies twitter!!) dolphins smiling and somersaulting and so many other things beautiful. Yes probably they evoke the same feeling in you that beauty is supposed to without being brainwashed (I certainly hope so) but are we sure? Then societies wouldn't have the same opinion about what beauty is. Or would they??

Maybe that is the beauty of beauty. That it excites that same feeling in you across boundaries and cultures, across ages and genders.

No comments: