2009-03-10

I am

Having been stuck with exams in the past week I didn't have time to post.

(Or maybe I did have time but I was trying to ease my conscience by telling myself that I was too busy studying.)

And yet I visited my blog everyday and overcame the temptation to write because I knew that I couldn't spend time on other random things. But then I had lots to say. And now here I am, no more mid-terms for atleast 4 days and what do I have to show for it?? Random babbling about how I have nothing to write about!! Ughhh...

No I shall not let this happen. And to avoid writing drivel about how I have nothing to write about and wasting words (I have nothing against wasting words though...) I decided to put up some thing that someone wiser than me has said.

"You imagine that what you can't understand is either spiritual or does not exist. The conclusion is quite wrong; rather there are obviously a million things in the universe that we would need a million quite different organs to understand ... someone blind from birth cannot imagine the beauty of a landscape, the colors of a painting or the shadings of an iris. He will imagine them as something palpable, edible, audible or olfactory. Likewise, if I were to explain to you what I perceive by the senses you do not have, you would interpret it as something that could be heard, seen, touched, smelled or tasted; but it is not like that."
--Cyrano de Bergerac

Well I would still like to believe that what I can't understand does not exist in my world but that is not true and I can't deny things. But it is so fascinating to think that the world and its beauties can be perceived in ways that my body can't think of. I am connected to the world only by my 6 senses. If you remove them then you are removing the world from my conscious. I become an empty floating entity in this universe. And yet to know that there are probably a million ways(I really don't think that there could be as many as a million ways but ah well its a nice number!) in which I could probably perceived makes me feel kinda ill-equipped suddenly. But then it justifies the hundreds of contraptions that we have today to measure things that we fail to. I mean wouldn't we be almost robotic if we could measure atmospheric pressure, see all frequencies of radiation and you know the other cool stuff that my brain can't think of. Maybe its just as well that we have just 6 senses with which we to know and understand the world as best as we can. We are doing a pretty good job.

I can't even imagine what my existence would be like if I din't have my senses. What would I think in terms of? My thoughts and ideas are made up of images, words, sounds and even smells and feelings sometimes. What the hell would be left in that brain of mine if you removed these??? A vacuum. An emptiness that I can't even begin to fathom but that scares me even with its mere idea!

No comments: