2009-03-02

You think with your brain and feel with your stomach

You think with your brain and feel with your stomach!!!

Really I'm beginning to think that because of its presence in the world of romance and literature, the heart is truly over-rated even though most of the feeling-work is done by the stomach. Now come to think of it just how often have you actually felt your heart feel?!?!

On the other hand the stomach actually feels various emotions. And rather than talk in ambiguous statements that I'm sure you will doubt I am going to give you examples to prove my point!! Normally I describe it as a funny feeling in my stomach. And I have that funny feeling quite often. (Well there's hardly anything funny about it but you know its one of those things.... )

Now when you are nervous there is this fluttery feeling in your stomach normally referred to as butterflies. When you are happy, ever noticed that nice, warm and fuzzy feeling down there?? And those bad days when nothing seems right you wake up with a funny feeling in your stomach(sadness, depression, etc whatever you would like to call it). Intuition-gut feeling??? And that queasy feeling that could be hatred, or dislike! Well I'm not sure if hunger is a feeling but the stomach does grumble to indicate that! :D And there is that sinking feeling in your stomach when you fear something. And there are many other things your stomach feels but I made my point din't I??

(I think the stomach can love passionately too but it's hard to prove that one so I won't push it.)

On the other hand the heart only flutters once in a while(beat is not equal to flutter)!! Sometimes I think its only a side reaction of what your stomach feels. Like your legs turning into jelly when you are nervous even though your legs have no bloody clue why you are nervous! So then why exactly is the heart so highly overrated??? I think its because it sounds nice. Now can you imagine saying "Always listen to your stomach and it will lead you!"? "That broke my stomach into a million pieces!!" "Pet ko bas tumhaara intezaar tha." "Pet to pagal hai." "Hum pet de chuke sanam!!" "Mere pet ka vasta hai, ruk jaooo..." You get the point?? Its hard to use stomach instead of heart without sounding famished or like a glutton (well bhukkhad sounds more apt despite spending time to recall glutton and bothering people...) considering just how much we have stereotyped the stomach!!

All in all I think we should continue to use heart the way it is but not forget that stomach does a lot of the feeling work! Did I say I'm beginning to think?? Well, I am sure that we feel with our stomach. (Mostly!)

No comments: